Sunday, April 24, 2011

What is a friend?

 love between friends wallpaper  I will tell you. It is a person with whom you dare to be yourself. Your soul can be naked with him. He seems to ask of you to put on nothing, only to be what you are. He does not want you to be better or to worse. When you are with him, you feel as a prisoner feels who has been declared innocent. You do not have to be on your guard. You can say what you think, as long as it is genuinely you. He understands those contradictions in your nature that lead others to misjudge you. With him you breathe freely. You can  avow your little vanities and envies and hates and vicious sparks, your meannesses, and absurdities. And in opening them up to him, they are lost, dissolved on the white ocean of his loyalty. He understands. You do not have to be careful. You can abuse him, neglect him, tolerate him. Best of all, you can keep still with him. It makes no matter. He likes you. He is like fire that purges to the bone. He understands. You can weep with him, laugh with him, sin with him, pray with him. Through it all-and underneath-he sees, knows, and cares you. A friend? What is a friend? Just one, I repeat, with whom you dare to be yourself. 

6 comments:

  1. I love this write-up! Especially the punchline: 'A friend is the one with whom you dare to be yourself'! Touching caption. Keep up, writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only current friends are animals. People are always trying to change me or use me or judge me or justify themselves by me. I'd like to find a friend like those you describe here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a very few friends around , i am anti social.. Some good few people around , don't chase God will bring them to you..dogs and cats are great possessions . THanks Storm Cat..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true n touching thought about friend, I like it very much,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping Anonymous !! keep coming..

    ReplyDelete